For folks who supported the “winning” candidate, the followers of Cheeto Jesus can be an awfully butt hurt bunch, especially when called out about less than desirable behavior on the Interwebs. Case in point: A friend from high school either shared a meme I had recently posted, or just coincidentally posted the same one. On many of these anti-Cheeto Jesus posts, a certain not-so-like minded friend of this friend shares their thoughts in a manner that is reminiscent of the comment section on a Breitbart “news” article. His comments centered around how the Democrats “got their ass handed to them” (they didn’t) and also how Cheeto Jesus won in “a blowout” (not so much).
Another commenter and I were, for the most part, either politely offering facts (gasp!) to refute his argument, or asking fact-based questions, both of which he chose to ignore as he continued to focus on, in his view, how the Democrats essentially labeled Cheeto Jesus supporters as racists, and that’s why they lost. Now, to be clear, to this point, neither I, nor the other commenter, so much as came anywhere near doing that. That’s where the third commenter comes into play.
Our third mystery guest decided to check out the gentleman’s Facebook profile and, took some screenshots of the both racist and sexist memes that were on proud display (I will not be sharing those. Ew.). After a brief back and forth regarding the source of the memes (“Someone else posted them.”), and how one can deal with unwanted posts on their wall (Newsflash: You can delete it if you don’t like it), here comes the “see my point of view” plea…
Now, I was midway through my response to this when I was blocked, but this was the reply I wished he’d seen:
Well, let’s see:
1. You supported, and continue to defend, a candidate who ran on a platform of racism, xenophobia, misogyny, and fake populism.
2. You allow racist and sexist content to remain on your feed, unchecked and unchallenged.
3. By your “oh, please understand why I’m an angry old white guy” comment, you continue to spew the same less-than-fact-based way of thinking that fuels the perception of you that some of us now have.
4. “Change your mind”? Please, any time I’ve seen you reply to something (mutual friend) posts, whether I choose to respond or not, someone presents facts to you, and, much like Cheeto Jesus and his other followers, the reply is always “biased liberal media”. You don’t want your mind to be changed, as is apparent by your continued support of Cheeto Jesus.
5. One might think that if you’re upset for being labeled an “old white racist”, you would look at your behavior to see why that is. Clearly, you’ve chosen another path by saying “why the hell should we care anymore?”
I’ve heard it said that, when you know better, you do better. Try that sometime.
And that’s it. That’s what I believe – if someone says that you’re exhibiting a less than desirable behavior, maybe analyze why that is, instead of defending it. Trust me, I know I can be an asshole, but I do actively try not to be. We all should. We’re all better off when that happens.
Happy holidays, fuckers. 😄